Archive

Ecumenical News International

Churches recall Nazi murders of patients

August 19, 2016

Berlin (epd). To commemorate the victims of Nazi murders of patients from 1939 to 1945 the two major churches are jointly hosting a quiet commemoration and an interfaith service in Berlin on 28 August. This has been announced by the Evangelical Church of Berlin-Brandenburg-Silesian Upper Lusatia and the Roman Catholic archdiocese of Berlin.

First of all, white roses are to be placed at the "T4" monument in front of the concert hall of the Berlin Philharmonie. Then the service will take place in nearby St Matthew's Church, a city church with many cultural and social activities including with Jewish organisations. Speakers will include the Rabbi Andreas Nachama, director of the Topography of Terror Foundation, Rev. Ulrich Lilie, Diakonie president, and Ulrike Kostka, president of Caritas Berlin.

As of April 1940, Nazis organised mass murders of patients from hospitals and homes in Tiergartenstraße 4, Berlin, under the name "T4" - an abbreviation of the street address of the campaign headquarters. It is estimated that some 300,000 people were killed by "euthanasia" carried out against inmates of institutions in Europe. The present-day memorial and information centre on victims of Nazi mass murders, also known as "T4", was dedicated on 2 September 2014.




 


 

extended search